Friday 1 May 2015

A few Baa-ble hats

It is wonderful to see lots of you knitting the Baa-ble hat, the free pattern I designed for Shetland Wool Week 2015.

It is also very exciting to see you using different colours, making them unique and I wanted to share a few that I have seen on Ravelry and Instragram for some inspiration!  You can see more photos of each version by clicking on the knitter's name - it will link you to their Ravely page.

I love the turquoise sky in Ribbels' version


 

Look at these fantastic colour choices from SyllyMae:


 
I absolutely love the colours Fidlstix has used especially the contrasting stripes in the ribbing (she also has several amazing patterns including a Fair Isle hat recipe using Shetland jumper weight yarn - check out her designs here).


 
Ella Gordon has made a grey version, which we often joke is a mutual favourite colour way, I need to make one like this for myself!

 

She has made a few adaptations to the patterns to suit her "flat head" (her words not mine!).  You can read about it in her blog post.


Lunargirl has gone for a slightly more muted effect with softer colours with a lovely effect.




The Winter's Night Baa-ble hat by Nelago uses darker colours very successfully, of course I love the grey sheep!




Torirot has made a gorgeous version using several shades of blue and green  - I think it works really well photographed against this wall, the colour just pops out.  You can read about her hat on her blog http://torirotsstitches.blogspot.com/ as well as getting a peak at some beautiful cardigans at a Colourwork Cardigan Parade.  She is also an amazing knitwear designer, you can see her designs here, if you aren't familiar with her work you need to see it!




Magfly has added an alpaca pom pom to great effect.



You can see more projects on the Baa-ble hat project pages on Ravelry and if you haven't already you can download the pattern from the Shetland Wool Week website.

Thank you to the knitters above for allowing me to use their photos.

Please keep adding your projects to Ravelry, it is so good to see them.  Remember if you are posting photos of them on Instagram on Twitter to add the hashtag(s)  #baable #baablehat #baablealong and/or tag Shetland Wool Week and/or myself (@shetlandwoolweek and @donnasmithdesigns on Instagram) or tag Shetland Wool Week on Facebook. 

That way we can see them and get even more excited about the flock of Baa-ble hats that are emerging!

14 comments:

  1. What a wonderful collection of hats :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many fab hats! I have to get some yarn and needles ready soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures Donna, I've updated my blog post on baa-ble with a link to this page: http://awoollyyarn.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/free-baa-ble-hat-pattern-download-for.html

    Please, please, please, can you sell a kit for the hat? It would be wonderful and much more cost effective to buy a kit containing just the right amounts of wool instead of buying lots of balls of yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you do know of anyone selling a baa-ble hat kit can you please let me know. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. I sell packs of the wool needed. See Collie Craft facebook page. You can order direct by message on there or through ebay shop.

      Delete
    2. It is the Jamieson and Smith worsted aran version. You will see my sisters finished one on there.

      Delete
  5. lovely! I have the pattern and am going to make one in crochet :) When it is done I'll send you a message on Ravelrywith how I did it--you can decide if you want to make the crochet variation available -- so many people can't knit, only crochet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only crocket also! Would love to see your hat and know how you made it...!

      Delete
  6. I think Jamiesons and Smith are selling kits.
    I just finished my baa-ble in Aubergine and duck egg with white sheep.
    Can't wait for Shetland Wool Week but for now I will settle for NH Sheep and Wool Festival this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that big fluffy pompom! And the turquoise looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to find one for sale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! These are so nice but I don't have the skills do to it myself.

      Delete
  9. Well, it’s not exactly a beginner project. But it’s so well written, that an intermediate person who’s done a little colorwork can certainly make it. Getting the floats right is the big issue. I love knitting but designing these designer hats is a tough task.

    ReplyDelete
  10. designs by clients are not always the easiest to understand. Fortunately there are solutions to help you create designs that manufacturers can read, so you get the socks that you want. custom bobble beanies

    ReplyDelete